Today's nature calendar task:
We recorded our sun rise, sun set info today. Sun rise: 6:44 am. Sun set: 6: 15 pm. Length of day: 11 hours 30 min.
I used our local weather website to get this information.
On February 19th we had recorded this same set of information for that day's nature calendar task. Sun rise: 7:10. Sun set: 5:53. Length of day: 10 hours 43 min.
It was fascinating to see that in only 16 days we had an extra 45 minutes of daylight! Daylight savings time is tomorrow. Our next date for recording sun rise, sun set data is on March 15th. It will be interesting to see how the Nuthatch will try to understand what happened. Today he was definitely trying to figure out how the day could be longer!
A long time ago we did a simple experiment that showed how the length of the day changes. It used an orange, a pencil, and a flashlight. I think we found it in the book "What makes day and night" from the Let's Read and Find out about Science series. I think I'll check it out from the library again.


No comments:
Post a Comment