Friday, March 6, 2009

Nature Calendar

I'm going to try something new on my blog. I found a wonderful nature calendar over at Holy Experience. We have been doing the little activities every day for the past few weeks and have been enjoying them immensely. They don't take very long to do, and we are learning alot. I'm going to try and do a series of short posts about the daily nature activities we have done from this calendar.

The nature calendar is from a book called "Natural Science Through the Seasons: 100 Teaching Units" by J.A. Partridge. It is an older book, published in 1946 and is out of print. I looked around on the internet and could not find a copy. My library system had only one copy stored away in a back room that I could look at but not take out of the library. I looked at it and it was a great book. Hopefully I'll stumble upon a copy one day. Ann at Holy Experience has taken photos of the calendar pages in her book and posted them on her site. I printed out a copy of March's nature calendar from her blog.

Anyways, today's task was: Watch for moths coming out of cocoons.

I have never found a moth cocoon. I thought this was an interesting task. I did find two websites about moth cocoons though, here and here.

We did not see any moths coming out of cocoons today, but we were out in the backyard making mudpies, filling our birdfeeders, and looking at some moss we have in a dish (it was a task from another day).



I'm going to link future entries at the bottom of this post so you can follow along with us if you like!

March

7th: Sun rise Sun set Length of day

8th: Get books on attracting birds and birdhouses.

9th: Watch for canada geese flying north.

10th: The song sparrow is due.

11th: Place a twig with tent caterpillar eggs in water.

12th: Watch for the red winged blackbird.

13th: Make a home for a bluebird.

14th: Observe how the water in a stream wears, carries and deposits soil.

15th: Sunrise Sunset Length of day

16th: It’s time for the meadowlark.

17th: Learn of the shamrock and St. Patrick.

18th: Our orchard friend the bluebird, settles in their new home.

19th: List the winter sleepers that have come out. Raccoon? Chimpmunk? Bat? Bear? Skunk?

20th: From maple sap to maple sugar.

21st: Start garden seeds indoors.

22nd: Sunrise Sunset Length of day

23rd: Prune roses 6 to 8 inches from the ground.

24th: Place twigs of cherry, apple or plum in water.

25th: Have you seen the mourning cloak butterfly?

26th: Look for frog’s eggs.Watch a few develop in a jar of water.

27th: The chipmunk comes forth from his burrow.

28th: The first wildflower, the skunk-cabbage, is a cousin of the calla lily.

29th: Sunrise Sunset Length of day

30th: Be sure you water your garden seedlings.

31st: Look for robin, killdeer, grackle, cowbird, heron, brown creeper, phoebe.

No comments: