Saturday, February 9, 2008

Bottlebrush grass

Bottlebrush grass

Today I tried to photograph snowflakes. By the time I had figured out how I might do this, the light fluffy snow had changed to formless ice crystals. Then, I attempted to take a picture of the way water droplets were forming on the branches in my backyard (without leaving the comfort of my home). The results were not satisfying.

So, here is a photo of Bottlebrush grass. It grew in my garden this summer, and in the fall I cut it and placed it in a vase, where it sits on my mantel above the fireplace. My livingroom walls are dark blue and they make a good, clean background. In order to get all the grass in focus I put my camera on a tripod and took the picture at F22. The light came from my bay window.



5 comments:

WomanNorth said...

That background is an inside wall? It looks just like blue sky.
Lovely.

naturegirl said...

The wall is a handy background. You'll see it in lots of my shots. The room faces east and gets lots of light through a large window.

Steph said...

Beautiful! I thought it was a sky as well until I read the post.

Thinking of snowflake photography makes me think of Wilson Bentley. I believe he was the first person to shoot snowflake photos. I had a book of his photography when I was little--just image after grainy, black and white image of snow crystals. I loved it. I know he had a specific setup for taking them--I think it involved black velvet? Can't remember for sure.

By the way, you have such cute kids!

naturegirl said...

I'll have to look up Wilson Bentley. I did try to use velvet. I got the idea from a book called 'A Charlotte Mason Companion' by Karen Andreola. She talked about using the velvet with children to observe snowflakes. I thought I could use this trick to photograph them. I kept trying to bring the velvet inside to take the picture, lol. Next time I'll put a plastic bag over my camera and shoot outside.

naturegirl said...

I looked up Wilson Bentley. He used black velvet, and he had his camera mounted on a microscope. I don't have a microscope, so if I do manage to photograph a snowflake, the results are likely to be unspectacular. I've ordered his book from the library, I'm looking forward to perusing it.