Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April birds

Today's nature calendar task:

Birds to look for this week or soon: Kingfisher, Loon, Flicker, Vesper Sparrow.

We have heard the flicker calling in the small woods near our house a week or so ago. He has a beautiful laughing call.

Last week we saw a kingfisher swooping over the water at the marsh we visited. He has a very loud and interesting call. The kingfisher dives into the water to catch fish. The one we saw did not dive, but he certainly was looking for fish. It was a delight to see him, he is not a bird I see very often.

I just looked at a photo of the Vesper Sparrow. He looks an awful lot like a female House Finch. I'll have to take a closer look at my field guide to find out how to tell the difference.

The links on the birds listed above will take you to the species accounts at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology's All about Birds pages. They have lots of information about each bird, good photos, distribution maps, habitat and behavior descriptions. Click on their link to hear the songs of each bird.

1 comment:

siO2 said...

I love the daily little posts. Thanks, my kids are going to enjoy spring a lot more b/c of your blog.