I spend a lot of time hunting for and evaluating resources to use for our homeschooling. The curriculum that I have chosen uses many older books that have been reprinted or the text is available online. You can purchase most of these books on Amazon for ten to fifteen dollars. I started ordering a book here and there for when the Nuthatch starts grade one. Then I read a suggestion that you can often find these books at used bookstores.
I have long had very romantic notions of used bookstores. I didn't shop in them much, mostly because I always used the library or I never knew what I was looking for. When I was young I dreamed that I would meet my future husband in a bookstore as we perused the shelves side by side, looking for the same classic novel. It would be a rainy fall evening and we would go to a little coffeeshop afterwards and talk until they closed.
In reality, I met my future husband in a student house at university, where I kept flooding his basement room with the washing machine. He is a computer guy, and the water would pool underneath his computer workstation where the web of cables, cords and wires connected all of his devices together. It was true love.
I have long had very romantic notions of used bookstores. I didn't shop in them much, mostly because I always used the library or I never knew what I was looking for. When I was young I dreamed that I would meet my future husband in a bookstore as we perused the shelves side by side, looking for the same classic novel. It would be a rainy fall evening and we would go to a little coffeeshop afterwards and talk until they closed.
In reality, I met my future husband in a student house at university, where I kept flooding his basement room with the washing machine. He is a computer guy, and the water would pool underneath his computer workstation where the web of cables, cords and wires connected all of his devices together. It was true love.
Anyways, back to the books. I finally had a good reason to search the used bookstores, so at Christmas time we headed downtown together with my list. My very patient husband waited, bored to tears, while I looked through their entire children's section (it is still true love, 15 years later). I found a few good items, especially a lovely hardcover copy of 'Make Way for Ducklings' by Robert McCloskey. The books were still $10 a book, although now they were hardcovers instead of paperbacks.
My searching was yielding good results, however my greatest discovery came quite by surprise to me. I had been decluttering my house of the toys and outgrown clothes. I boxed and bagged the stuff and drove to Goodwill to drop it off. On a whim, I decided to go inside the store and look around.
I suspect that the store I go to is not like most of the other Goodwill stores. They have all of the stuff in large shallow blue bins that are on wheels. There are bins of clothes, bins of toys, bins of household items and bins of...books! I started rummaging around to see what I could find.
I'm not sure what I picked up that day, but I knew I was on to a good thing. On my next trip to drop off stuff I went in again, and this time found a very nice hardcover copy of 'Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare'. I was so excited, what were the chances that I would find this book here? I snatched it up quickly, certain there were others on the prowl for the jewel I had just found. I took it up to the cashier, not sure what this find would cost me. Fifty cents! I could not believe it. I had found a goldmine.
I suspect that the store I go to is not like most of the other Goodwill stores. They have all of the stuff in large shallow blue bins that are on wheels. There are bins of clothes, bins of toys, bins of household items and bins of...books! I started rummaging around to see what I could find.
I'm not sure what I picked up that day, but I knew I was on to a good thing. On my next trip to drop off stuff I went in again, and this time found a very nice hardcover copy of 'Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare'. I was so excited, what were the chances that I would find this book here? I snatched it up quickly, certain there were others on the prowl for the jewel I had just found. I took it up to the cashier, not sure what this find would cost me. Fifty cents! I could not believe it. I had found a goldmine.
Now I was addicted. I was also spring cleaning and conveniently finding more items to go to Goodwill so I could look for more books. On my next trip I found the complete set of Winston Churchill's 'A History of the English Speaking Peoples' and a 6 volume set of his memoirs of WWII (for myself, not for the Nuthatch). There was also another copy of 'Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare' which I picked up for a friend. My bill came to five dollars.
I wondered who was dropping off these great books at Goodwill. I would read the names written on the inside covers and picture an older gentleman or lady who had passed away, and their children had taken all of their beloved books to Goodwill, not appreciating what they were worth. Not from a monetary perspective, but from the richness of the language and ideas that were inside, the words of good writers.
They are in good hands now, on the shelves of our small but steadily growing library. I will need more space for these books soon. Perhaps I should clean out my closet and make a trip to Goodwill.




7 comments:
I love that there are other people in the world that think that books can be like treasure. :)
Our public library has a section inside the front door in the lobby where they sell used books and sometimes I will find a treasure there to purchase for 50 cents or a dollar. I feel sort of like I am cheating when I find a good deal.
Great post,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom
I'm glad you liked my post Barb! I know what you mean about that cheating feeling. It's almost too good to be true when you find these great books for the spare change in your pocket.
I have purchased used books online, and find it fascinating that two of them are old library books from England! Oh, the stories they could tell. My mom has found some great books at Goodwill, too, but I never think to look there. We also have a used bookstore near here, but I have never been in it - maybe I should quit putting it of til "later" and go this week!
LOL, you sound just like me! There is nothing so fabulous as finding those "treasure" books buried at some thrift store and only costing a few cents. I've actually found several needed books this way.
My most favorite outing for myself is to rummage through the book sections at all the thrift stores. We even have one thrift store that has a whole house for all the books that come in! It's heavenly.
I've had some luck at Goodwill, although locally the books there tend to be more in the $2-$3 range. Still a steal, but at the "off brand" thrift shop I like I can get books for the .50 & .25 you were talking about. One day the books were half off that... I came home with a LOT of books that day. I posted about my thrift store finds too. Thrift stores are indeed a wonderful thing!
I just recently realized that the Goodwill that I shop at is a Goodwill outlet store! lol, No wonder the books were so cheap! I will have to check out my local thrift shops too.
I just love this post--we CMers are all such bibliophiles, aren't we? Several of us go together to library book sales and we're cannot conceal our joy each time we find a treasure, almost always for under a dollar. People think we're nuts when one of us gasps loudly and says, "Pagoo!" or "The Blue Fairy Book!" and the rest of us say, "Wow!" with a hint of jealousy, LOL. It is one of the most enjoyable parts of homeschooling.
Post a Comment