Monday, May 26, 2008

Getting to know a place

We live in the suburbs. For most of our 'nature' time we need to drive somewhere. There is lots to explore within walking distance of our house, but we live near a very busy road which can be a stressful experience to negotiate.

One thing I have been trying to do is to visit a few natural areas often. I have several parks on my list of places that we return to again and again. I want the kids to see how these places change through the seasons. I want them to develop a map of these areas in their minds and be able to find their way around. I want them to get to know these places well.

There is a lovely small forest not too far from our house. It is just a bit too far for the boys to walk, so we end up driving there. I had chosen this place as our 'main' area to focus on. I liked that it was near our house, and that while there is a lot of human impact, there is still quite a bit of diversity and natural growth.

We went this morning to explore our small forest. I parked in the neighbouring high school parking lot. Unfortunately, someone from the school came out to tell me that only teachers were allowed to park there, and my car would be towed.


Feeling rather frustrated and thwarted in my great 'get to know a place' plan, I loaded the kids and the stroller back into the van and we left to explore a park that we had not been to before.


It turned out to be a wonderful spot. It was quiet and it had a variety of habitats. I could tell that there were lots of 'nature stories' to learn about (I'll write another post about nature stories). It was also quite safe. The kids had just the right kind of morning.

The Nuthatch played 'lion in the grass'.

The BlueJay thought this rock looked like a sandwich. It was getting close to lunch, was he hungry?

There was a shallow stream, perfect for throwing rocks into and for jumping from rock to rock. It was shallow enough that if they fell in they would just get wet.

Sometimes I wonder what value this outdoor time has for my youngest. She was trapped in her stroller all winter since she couldn't walk wearing her snowsuit. Now she can get out and explore too, and she loves it! I bring the stroller along just in case she gets tired, but she spends most of her time following her brothers. She finds little sticks and rocks and dandelion fuzz to investigate. It is a wonderful thing to watch.

I think I have found a new spot to put on our 'short list' of places to explore. We'll be back next week to get to know this place a little better.

1 comment:

Paula Bellman said...

oh, that park looks nice. I'd love to have a park with such a lovely creek to wade in.