Thursday, April 3, 2008

Relaxation for sale

Yesterday I spent the day at a fabulous spa. I don't go to spas very often, so it was quite a treat. While I was there I overheard a woman saying "Now, this is a good reason for working!" What she was saying was that she worked so she could make enough money to be able to afford to go to this particularly expensive spa and relax.

I started thinking about this concept, working hard so you could relax. It seemed like a bandaid approach to me. The spa experience was wonderful while I was there, but it didn't carry over and have any lasting effects after I left.

I am always secretly amused at the array of products and their long list of pseudo health benefits.

...created to revive vital energy, uses the essential oils of: lemongrass, refreshing and uplifting; ginger, invigorating, stimulating, incites courage and confidence; and sandalwood, centering and grounding.

Taken from a brochure of products
available at the spa I visited.

Can you buy courage and confidence? Somehow I doubt it.

As a homeschooling mom to young children, I have chosen a lifestyle that does not usually result in trips to the spa. I do, however, get exhausted, frazzled, and easily irritated. It would be nice to think that a trip to the spa could cure all of that.

It's easy to blame my exhaustion and irritation on the kids, and the obvious solution would be to get time away from them. I have fantastic inlaws that watch the two older boys for a day or two every week, and this gives me a chance to recharge, but it is not the answer.

The real problem is that I stay up too late after the kids go to sleep, trying to have a moment of precious 'me time'. It sets up a vicious cycle. I need sleep, or I become grouchy. The kids pick up on this and become more challenging. At the end of the day, I need more 'me time', away from the difficult kids, and I stay up too late. Repeat, repeat repeat.

Next time I visit the spa I am going to pick up a refreshing bottle of "Go To Bed Early". I'm sure it will do just the trick.

I don't have access to my photo software at the moment. I'll have pictures again soon, but for now there are only ramblings and musings available.

1 comment:

Errol said...

Sleep does wonders.

Expunging creativity bottled up in your head also does wonders for relaxing. :D