The Nuthatch did go to school for 6 months. We enrolled him in Junior Kindergarten when he was four years old. Here is his 'First Day of School' photo.
The Chickadee had just been born when he started school. At first it wasn't too hard. The weather was warm, the Chickadee was happy to sleep in her car seat on the ride to and from school.
The drive to school only took about two minutes. It's a ten minute walk to get there, but with the 2 year old Bluejay in tow it easily turned into a 20 minute walk (40 minutes round trip). At some point the Chickadee would wake up and decide she was hungry. We did walk a few times but in my sleep deprived fog it was soon ruled out as an option.
Then, it was winter. Fall jackets became winter snowsuits and boots. The clock was always ticking as I tried to convince a toddler and a 4 year old to eat breakfast and get dressed quickly. (The only thing a toddler does quickly is make a large mess when you aren't looking.) By the time I had corralled everyone into their car seats and made the round trip to school at least 20 minutes had passed. We would go back home for the rest of the morning and repeat the whole scenario at lunch time.
Then the Chickadee was not a newborn anymore. She needed to nap in her crib. I would take the groggy baby out of her crib in the morning to drive the Nuthatch to school, and then she would be awake for the morning, and right about when I needed to pick him up again, she would be down for a nap. Never wake a sleeping baby, anyone?
The 2 1/2 hour 'break' that I got in the morning while the Nuthatch was at school was spent caring for an infant and entertaining the Bluejay because his playmate was not at home.
It seemed like a lot of work, and I wasn't convinced of the great benefits he was receiving at school. Did I mention that I am a former public school teacher? Granted, I taught grade 7, but I knew that a lot of the time spent at school was taken up with snack time, recess, a visit to the library, listening to a story, doing a craft and so on. I can't imagine how much time was spent trying to get the attention of a bunch of four year olds. I had trouble getting the attention of one 4 year old. I could do all that at home with a lot less effort. My laziness was getting the better of me.
So, at March Break of the Nuthatch's first year of school, we brought him home. He's been home for a year now. I no longer have to rush everyone to get ready for school. My time spent as Mrs. Chauffeur is now time spent as Mrs. Teacher. Our lessons take under an hour (this year he would be in Senior Kindergarten). The Nuthatch and Bluejay have lots of time to play together.
...mothers work wonders once they are convinced that wonders are demanded of them.
Charlotte Mason, Home Education p. 44
Sometimes when I mention that I homeschool I hear the comment "How do you do it?", or "I could never do that!" implying the monumental effort I must be undertaking to educate my children. I just smile and shrug and think to myself of the monumental effort it took to take my child to school. "Sending him to school was too much work" doesn't seem like quite the right answer. They work wonders taking their children to school, and I work a different kind of wonder at home.


11 comments:
I've never heard anyone else admit to the love of nap time for little ones before! I posted about your post at http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/curiousities/524184/
-Christine
I love your post and your refreshing honesty! When my littles were 4, 2, and a baby, I went through a similar ordeal. All of the work involved in getting our 4 yr. old to school was one of many reasons we brought him home! :)
Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Shannon
Amen, amen, amen, and AMEN!! This is a key reason for me as well!!
I can't imagine the monumental accomplishment of getting out the door by 8 A.M. with being pregnant, getting my six year old to 1st grade, my four year old to half day kindergarten or pre-school, my three year old's shoes, coat and hat on and my nearly two year old diaper changed. Not to mention getting them fed and making lunches and getting them all into seatbelts! And then doing it all over again at lunchtime/naptime to pick up the half day kindergartener/preschooler. And then again to pick up the 1st grader later in the day! Mercy!
We have our morning routines to prepare for the day and it runs smoothly and calmly, AND we are finished with routine schooling all by 11:00 A.M. (We are morning people around here.) Then, the children play and imagine and entertain themselves...And have REST TIME! Ours is a very calm and orderly, yet flexible, home (a lot of the time)....all because we homeschool!!!!
Many Blessings,
Holly@aiminghigh
Oh, yeah, I totally agree. We did the preschool thing (and I worked there for two years) and that was bad enough. I just do not like to HAVE to be up & at 'em super early in the morning. I LOVE the flexibility of homeschooling!!!
Thanks for your post.
Jamie @ RoseCottage
Awesome! LOL
I loved your honesty! You know i have to fight my lazy side all the time =o) In stead of folding clothes, cooking, cleaning, ironing,etc I would much rather be outside taking a walk with my boys, taking care of our chickens, digging worms, finding something interesting outside and trying to find out what it is, read a book outside while my boys play and be on the computer =o) Thanks for sharing--Angie in GA
Oh, I agree. Another of my secret reasons? I hate packing lunch.
I totally agree. When I hear my friends complaining of hours of homework at night and lives driven by the school schedule, I know that I have made the right decision to keep them home. I used to think it was being selfish. I did not consider laziness. Either way, the homeschool lifestyle is the one for me!
Jenn
Thanks for your CoH submission!
My kids go to school 2 days a week and are taught at home 3 days a week. So we have the best of both worlds - or the worst, depending on your perspective.
I can't imagine having to pack a lunch 5 days a week, or finding clean, school-appropriate clothes to wear more than two days a week (as it is, my kids are still in their pjs and it's after lunch time); or not being able to have a 4-day weekend when we want to. Did I mention we are NOT morning people? I can get up early 2 days a week, but 5? Forget it.
Oh, I can't imagine it. And navigating the zoo that is pick up? I think that family rhythm is an important part of raising children. I like education within the context of family, and nap time is an important part of that!
Another lazy mom saying "Yep!" It's hard enough getting them up, dressed, and fed when we have no where to go. Trying to get them to school early in the morning is just too much of a hassle. :)
Post a Comment