One day I took a long walk on the golf course, where elk were often spotted, but I saw nothing but birds and squirrels. There appeared to be random sections of the course fenced off (I'm not a golfer), which I thought was odd until I realized they were protecting the greens from being grazed by elk and deer.
Elk Cervus canadensis
Finally one day, I was driving back to the hotel by a back road and there was this beautiful male elk with a great set of antlers. He had a female nearby, and they calmly grazed while I took photos with the remaining light of the day. I stayed well back and used my long lens. I could tell that they were far more skittish than the big horn sheep I had seen earlier. The male watched my movements and kept his antlers towards me at all times.
For the rest of the trip I often drove down that same road and saw the pair of elk grazing nearby each time I went. One day I brought along a friend to show her the pair as well, but alas, they were nowhere to be found. I was just about to turn around and drive away, when we saw the cars slow down and stop ahead of us (a good sign that they had seen some wildlife). We drove on a bit more and saw a whole herd of elk! There must have been 30 animals. They hung around the same area for the next few days and I saw them often.




No comments:
Post a Comment