Friday, November 21, 2008

Gearing up for Winter Nature Study

The weather has turned a bit chilly around here. This week has been cold enough that I have needed to get out all of our winter outerwear in order for us to enjoy being outside. I wrote about this topic at the end of February last year, this seems a more appropriate time.

We had a wonderful hike today. It snowed this week and there was about 5 cm still on the ground. We went to our favorite conservation area. I showed the boys some deer tracks I found and they spent the rest of the morning following the deer footprints all over the place. It was quite lovely. We were out for almost an hour in the brisk minus sixteen Celcius weather (3 degrees Farenheit).

Here's a little fashion show from the Bluejay, showing how we keep warm:

For his first layer he has on long underwear. They are made out of some sort of polyester, and they wick away moisture from his skin if he starts to sweat after making 27 snow angels in a row. My long underwear (photo not shown) is made out of silk. It is extremely light and warm, but too expensive for growing children.


Next layer is his regular clothes and a scarf. Soon he will also be wearing a wool sweater that I need to finish.

There's lots to talk about in the final layer. He has ordinary winter boots right now, he will inherit his older brother's (nice ones from Land's end) as soon as I buy the Nuthatch a new pair. He has on rain pants as a windproof / waterproof layer. I still need to sort out which snowpants fit which kid. He has an ordinary winter coat. His mittens are fabulous. They are waterproof and have a gauntlet that comes right up the sleeves of his coat. Snow does not get into his mittens and up his sleeves. Lastly he has a brightly coloured hat, which makes it easy to keep an eye on him!

Last year it took me approximately half an hour to suit everyone up to go outside. This year I'm hoping it will take a little less time because they are a little older and can get ready a bit more by themselves.

It is a bit of an investment in time and money to gear your kids up to be able to spend extended time outside in the winter, but it is so worth it. Make sure your kids stay dry with waterproof mitts and snowpants. Keep them warm with wool sweaters and long underwear. Then go outside and enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! What a cutie. Those are a lot of layers. We so seldom need to stay quite that warm, that we don't have the long underwear layer. That's neat for your kids that you get out there in the elements despite the chilliness, and that they stay so nice and warm.