Friday, October 10, 2008

Structure of roots

This week we took another look at our tree seedling to examine its roots. For their nature notebook I had them draw the roots. We talked about the main tap root, the side roots and when we looked very carefully we could see the light fuzz of the root hairs.

I took out our magnifying glass to try and see the root hairs better but for some reason they were easier to see in the vase. Perhaps when I transferred them from the water in the vase (where they have been sitting for about a week) the root hairs might have flattened against the root.


I would have liked to talk more about the function of roots, but we were rushed and it didn't happen today.

A few weeks ago I pointed out a very large willow tree on one of our walks and gave each child a long branch to play with. They enjoyed the flexibility of the branch, using it as a fishing pole, and pretending it was a very long piece of hair on their heads. Since then they have been pointing out willow trees to me as we drive around town.

That evening I read about the willows in my copy of 'The Handbook of Nature Study', and I was intrigued by this part:

Although the seed of the willow is produced in abundance, it is hardly needed for preserving the species. Twigs which we place in water to develop flowers will also put forth roots; even if the twigs are placed in water wrong side up, rootlets will form. A twig lying flat on moist soil will push out rootlets along its entire length as though it were a root; and shoots will grow from the buds on its upper side. This habit of the willows and the fact that the roots are long, strong, and fibrous, make these trees of great use as soil binders. There are few things better than a thick hedge of willows to hold streams to their proper channels during floods; the roots reach out in all directions, interlacing themselves in great masses, and thus hold the soil of the banks in place. The twigs of several of the species, notably the crack and sand-bar willows, are broken off easily by the wind and carried off down stream, and where they lodge, they take root; thus, many streams are bordered by self -planted willow hedges.

So, we took a piece of our willow branch and placed it in a vase to see if it would grow roots. The children gave up hope rather quickly of its ability to grow roots, but I just left it on the table to see what it would do. I thought it might not grow roots since it was so late in the season, perhaps the tree somehow knew that October was not a good time to try to grow a baby plant.


Just yesterday I took another look and there was the beginning of a new root! There was also a leaf budding out as well.

It would be neat to see the root hairs under a microscope. Do you have a microscope at home? What age were your kids when you got it?

No comments: