
Today we tried making suet for the cage birdfeeder. It was very easy and did not take long. The boys enjoyed helping, they did everything but melt the peanut butter and suet.
I searched around on the internet and found a no melt recipe. I was looking for something that wouldn't melt when the weather gets warmer. It's still cold here, I'll let you know if our concoction melts when the weather warms up. I've always put the cage feeder away in the spring. I'm looking forward to see who visits it later in the season.
I didn't do the math, but I think it was probably a lot cheaper than purchasing the suet cakes. I've placed the tray in the freezer to harden it, and then I'll cut it into 4 cakes and store in the freezer between wax paper until needed. The squirrels are sometimes interested in the suet feeder, so I added some cayenne pepper to the mix to deter them. We'll see how well that works.
I've been stocking up on all my different birdseeds so I will have lots of food available as more birds begin to arrive this spring. We have had a pair of Hairy Woodpeckers visiting our suet feeder recently, and I wanted to have some extra suet cakes on hand for them.

2 comments:
You know, you're username really should have been naturegirl.
*laugh*
You know, I originally wanted to do a photography blog, but it has morphed into a nature blog. I like naturegirl.
Post a Comment